Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Banana-Pina-Colada Cake

I was in a baking mood today... and I wanted to use up some ripe bananas. I found a recipe online that suggested using 4 bananas, a yellow cake mix, and 2 eggs to make "banana cake." Instead I decided to use the following....

2 large, overripe bananas
3/4 c sweetened, shredded coconut
1 can crushed pineapple (in juice), reserve a few tablespoons of drained pineapple for the frosting
1 egg
1 box yellow cake mix

Drain the pineapple juice and stir into the coconut in a small bowl. Allow to soak for about 5 minutes while you mash the bananas in a large mixing bowl. Beat the egg in a small bowl, and pour it into the bananas. Add in the pineapple, and stir everything together. Then stir in the cake mix. Pour into a 9x13 pan and bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes.

For frosting I just used a canned white frosting with about 1/4 cup of crushed pineapple and one small piece of diced crystallized ginger. Next time I'd use pineapple fluff... a container of cool whip with some crushed pineapple mixed in.

No comments:

Post a Comment