Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Mini BBQ Chicken Pizzas

These little pizzas start out as a can of biscuits. Making dough from scratch is for the truly dedicated pizza maker, and that I am not. If I want "real crust," I'll go to CPK. But I digress. These little beauts were a breeze to put together. Once I got the chicken cooked it took 15 minutes from assembly to table. It's very hard for me to judge what size family this recipe would feed since I have little concept of how much a child might eat, but I used mini biscuits and in my opinion 2 of them were an adult serving size. If you used a regular large biscuit, like Grands, I think 1 would probably do. According to Rich, he would have liked to eat 6 of them. Lol. Of course if you are making these for kids, I would recommend omitting the spicy ingredients. ;-)

1 can of buttermilk biscuits, rolled out thinly
1 chicken breast
shredded cheese of choice (I used cheddar)
BBQ sauce of choice
Honey

OPTIONAL: thinly sliced red onions, cilantro, using rotisserie chicken instead of baking your own ;-)

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Pound out the chicken breast until it is about 1/2" thick. Dry it off with a paper towel, then pour about 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar onto it to moisten each side. Lightly sprinkle each side with salt, cayenne pepper, crushed red pepper, & garlic. Bake about 20 minutes. When the juices run clear, remove the chicken from the oven and drizzle the honey over it. I do this by dipping a fork into my jar of honey, then moving the fork over the chicken. Don't use too much! You're just looking for a little balance to the heat of the cayenne and crushed peppers. The honey will melt over the hot chicken and form a nice glaze. Allow the chicken to cool for 5-10 minutes while you prep the biscuits.



Cover a shallow baking sheet with tin foil, and brush or mist it with olive oil. Next, roll out the biscuits with a rolling pin until they are approximately double in diameter and place them on the pan. Brush the biscuits with a layer of your favorite barbecue sauce. Next, thinly slice the chicken and break into small pieces. Top each biscuit with chicken and about 2 tablespoons of shredded cheese. Now, put about 2 tablespoons of BBQ sauce into a small ziploc bag. Cut a tiny hole in the corner of the bag, and drizzle a bit of sauce over each mini pizza. Add red onions if you are using those.



Bake at 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving. Add chopped cilantro at the table for garnish, if desired. Use paper plates for easy clean up! These are the perfect meal when served with a salad.


No comments:

Post a Comment