Friday, February 21, 2014

Guiltless Cashew Chicken

If you're anything like me, one of the most annoying things in the world is the amount of calories and fat in a lot of Asian food. I crave Asian flavors and am always trying to figure out ways to get the flavor without the guilt. My nutritionist gave me a couple of new recipes this week, and I decided to try this one. I was very happy with how it turned out! It's got a lot of veggies in it so it does make a pile of food. I am the only one eating this so I'll be eating it until Monday. ;-) It serves 4 adults. Enjoy! 



2 tbsp coconut oil
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into thin strips or small pieces
1/2 onion, sliced 
2 cloves fresh garlic, minced (I used 1 tbsp minced garlic from a jar)
15 spears asparagus, ends trimmed, cut into 1" pieces
1 small red bell pepper, sliced
1 medium zucchini, sliced
2 cups shredded cabbage (I used coleslaw mix that has regular cabbage, purple cabbage, & carrots)
1 tbsp cornstarch
3/4 cup chicken broth
2 tbsp hoisin sauce (find this in the ethnic/Asian food section at Publix)
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp ginger paste (found in a tube in the produce dept) or fresh minced ginger root
1/2 cup cashews


Begin by chopping up your veggies and chicken, and placing them in separate bowls. Next, dissolve the cornstarch and chicken broth in a bowl. Stir in hoisin and soy sauces; set aside. Toss the chicken with the ginger and garlic. Heat the oil to medium-high heat in a large wok or  pan of your choice. Cook chicken until nearly done, probably around 4 minutes. Add veggies and stir-fry an additional 2 minutes. Pour in the sauce and cook 2-3 minutes. Sauce will begin to thicken. Stir in the cashews and serve over white or brown rice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment