Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Cream Puff Cake

Recently, I took a jetrocket-quick trip over to Ohio to visit a friend. While I was there, she made a delightful cream puff cake. Needless to say I thoroughly enjoyed it, and I think you should all make it. :-) It was light, creamy, easy, and it utilizes vanilla pudding which might by one of my favorite things ever.
I didn't used to know anyone who is so organized that all of their recipes are typed, laminated, and organized in a binder, but now I do. I mean check this out. Ha! Please keep in mind that the recipe pictured is for CREAM PUFFS and we made a CREAM PUFF CAKE. So don't be confused. :-)



Cream Puff Cake

1 cup hot water 
1/2 cup butter
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup flour
4 eggs

Filling 
1 small pkg instant vanilla pudding
1-3/4 c milk
1/2 tub cool whip

Mix together the pudding mix and milk, and refrigerate until it sets. Fold in the cool whip. 
(You may use the entire tub if you want, but we used the "other half" right on top.)


Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In a small pot, bring water, butter, & salt to a full, rolling boil, then add the flour all at once and stir quickly to form the mix into a ball. 


Now, dump your perfect little dough ball into a mixing bowl. Duh.



Now, beat in the eggs with a hand mixer,  one at a time.



Spread the dough out into a 9x13" pan. Be quick about it. Don't overthink it or overstir it, like I tried to. It's a warm, clumpy mess, and you're going to feel like you've done something wrong. Don't be afraid. It will be okay. Pop this little sugar in the oven for 15 minutes, then lower the temp to 350 and continue baking it for 25 minutes. You will be tempted to take it out early, because it smells really fragrant. Don't do it. Seriously, it needs the entire 40 minutes to bake. 



Once it's all baked up, let it cool completely. Now, you're ready to top it. 



Now hopefully you were smart and mixed your pudding in that ginormous, yawning 40-minute time gap, but if not, you're just gonna have to wait a little longer. 


Dump out the remaining half tub of cool whip, and spread it out.


Isn't everything better with a drizzle of chocolate????



Eat me. I'm yummy.




2 comments: